It has been about 8 months since I last blogged. My journey to a healthy lifestyle has been AMAZING! Since I last blogged I have lost 70 lbs….SEVENTY POUNDS! I have gone from 248 lbs down to 178 lbs. I have learned how to eat healthy, exercise regularly and enjoy life more. I still have a ways to go and will be sharing some stories, tips and recipes along the way.
This past weekend was so much fun! I had my niece come out to Dallas for a pre-birthday staycation. She had not been to Dallas, or on a bus, or on a rail, or a trolley ever! She had a blast. We went visited all the cool spots downtown and ate SO MUCH FOOD! I will just leave you with some photos from the weekend. I have a busy work week ahead of me so I’m not sure if i will be blogging much! Until next time….
Hope everyone is off to a great start this week! I know I am! This past week I received my new Hamilton Beach Smoothie Blender and have been on a major smoothie kick. I have had a smoothie every day for a week now…sometimes 2 a day. I went three days last week without ANY soda at all (other days only 1 12 oz can a day)and honestly it just doesn’t taste that great to me anymore.
I bought this Green Superfood stuff to put into my smoothies over the weekend. Today was the first day I tried it. It wasn’t bad…but it wasn’t great either! I mixed it with some vanilla almond milk, strawberries and bananas and it did taste like orange at first but then you get the grassy aftertaste…still not that bad. The worst part about it was the color. It was DARK army green and really made me think twice about drinking it. I am glad that I did however because I do feel like a have a little more energy than I normally would and I know that I am getting my recommended 5 to 9 daily servings of fruits and vegetables all in one drink!
• Naturally detoxifies and boosts your immune system
• Probiotics and Enzymes to aid digestion and absorption
One of my favorite smoothies from the weekend was my orange smoothie with cherries on top!
Besides all my smoothie maddness that has been happeneing I also did a lot of relaxing with my honey and our babies.
Hope everyone had a great weekend, I have a very busy week ahead of me at work. Time to get to it!
EDIT: I forgot to add how EXCITED i am that one of my favorite shows is finally back! Hemlock Grove. EVEN BETTER than last season! Roman (picture below) is my fav character, he is even crazier and creepier this season. ❤
Vogel Alcove Parade
Happy Monday everyone!
Today I officially started working FULL TIME at my job. I was so used to getting off work at 1230 every day and going home and being lazy! Now I am working until 430 every day and I HAVE to take an hour lunch break. Today’s lunch break was VERY boring. I think I will bring some work out clothes and jog laps in our gym a few days out of the week during that time. No excuse not to!
Tonight we are going to have a celebratory dinner for my going full time. Still trying to decide where to go. I will share later in the week the details!
I posted last Monday that we were changing our eating habits and I was backing off of soda. It is going great! I only drink ONE 12 oz can of soda each day and I actually went all of Saturday and Sunday without ANY soda at all! I had lost 4 lbs by last Friday and was so afraid I would gain it all back over the holiday weekend. I was able to maintain! GO ME! My husband Jason has been eating mainly meat, nuts and brown rice and he has lost 10 lbs since July 1st I am very proud of him.
Fourth of July festivities at work last Thursday were a blast and all the children had so much fun! Thanks to Dallas Heritage Village for letting us use your grounds for a HUGE (compared to what we normally would have had) parade and watermelon picnic. Also thanks for giving the children carriage rides and having games set up for them to play! Above are some photos from this wonderful day.
Hope everyone has a wonderful week!
After a several month hiatus from WordPress…not intentionally I am officially back! I have been working my bottom off at Vogel Alcove and proving myself to be worthy of full time and all my hard work has finally paid off! As of today I am a full time employee! I have taken on many random task over the past several months and cant wait to work even more! Not many people can say that on a Monday morning they are excited to be going to work…I can. Instead of writing out a long blog about everything that has happened over the last months I will highlight some of the important stuff.
- End of the year holidays were fantastic!
- Jason and I celebrated our 9 year anniversary on 01/29
- We celebrated Jason’s birthday on 2/18
- In April our Non-Profit moved from a very small location that we had been at for 15 years to our new facility which was an old 3 story elementary school in DISD. Dallas Morning News Story
- Jason bought me a Samsung NX300 camera for my birthday which we celebrated on 5/18 (over $1000 worth of camera, lenses, bag etc and we got it for $250! Was only used a couple of weeks by a photography student)
- I have officially become the Vogel Alcove Photographer, taking photos of all the volunteers that come to visit, field trips, special events and birthdays!
- I have continued to struggle with my health and weight. Started a new healthy eating plan with a daily food diary and work out routine yesterday. I actually have Jason on board with me! Wish us luck!
I promise to post at least once a week from now on! I will leave you with a recipe I threw together from dinner last night. Enjoy!
- 6 cups fresh Kale
- 2 cups frozen Butternut Squash cubed
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn Corn
- 1 can of Chickpeas drained
- coconut oil
- red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450
- Toss the chickpeas and squash with some melted coconut oil (just enough to lightly coat) and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Spread out the mixture on a cookie sheet and back for about 25 min or longer if you desire more crispy veggies.
- In a large pot add couple tsp coconut oil and the corn.
- Fry lightly for a few minutes then toss in the kale.
- Cook for about 5 min tossing often so that the kale does not start to burn.
- Peel and dice one large avocado.
- Once everything is done place ALL ingredients into a large bowl and toss it gently so that you do not mash the avocado.
- Serve and ENJOY
Day 3 of this slow and steady drizzle/rain and I am SO over it! My dogs are over it as well, they just want to be outside running and soaking up the sun. Taking the bus in this weather is a nightmare! Especially when you are heading out while it is still dark outside. Monday I slipped and fell in the mud and my bus was 1/2 hour late due to the rain.
Speaking of bus rides, this morning a pretty nice looking older gentleman got on the bus wearing a trench coat and carrying a briefcase. He started fumbling through it and acting all weird and sneaky. I of course was being nosy and trying to see what he was all flustered about. In his briefcase was a whole bunch of old newspaper clippings and old TIME magazines. Everything he had was JFK, MLK and Moon Landing related. He had written “TRUTH” on a lot of the stuff in red marker. Strange…yet I have seen stranger.
Work has been going great, getting more hours and more responsibilities. Making that $$. I guess with the extra cash I am bringing in now I could splurge and buy me some more business casual clothes and shoes since i pretty much have NONE! I mean seriously what woman only has ONE pair of dress shoes?!?! Oh yeah… me. 😦 Guess I will start looking for any sales happening this weekend.
Speaking of sales and deals; at the 99cent Only Store they now have four packs of the International Delight Iced Coffee for ONLY 99CENTS! What?!?! Heck yeah I bought some and they are really good. Think I’ll go back today and wipe them out!
Well I suppose I should start working on stuff here at work, a lot has to be done in preparation for our Nov 1st Coat Closet for our families. So excited for colder weather! Too bad this is TEXAS and we will only need coats for a few months. Oh well. Texas if defiantly a hoodie, scarf and mittens state though!
Hope everyone has a wonderful HUMPDAY!