Hope everyone is off to a great start this week! I know I am! This past week I received my new Hamilton Beach Smoothie Blender and have been on a major smoothie kick. I have had a smoothie every day for a week now…sometimes 2 a day. I went three days last week without ANY soda at all (other days only 1 12 oz can a day)and honestly it just doesn’t taste that great to me anymore.
I bought this Green Superfood stuff to put into my smoothies over the weekend. Today was the first day I tried it. It wasn’t bad…but it wasn’t great either! I mixed it with some vanilla almond milk, strawberries and bananas and it did taste like orange at first but then you get the grassy aftertaste…still not that bad. The worst part about it was the color. It was DARK army green and really made me think twice about drinking it. I am glad that I did however because I do feel like a have a little more energy than I normally would and I know that I am getting my recommended 5 to 9 daily servings of fruits and vegetables all in one drink!
• Naturally detoxifies and boosts your immune system
• Probiotics and Enzymes to aid digestion and absorption
One of my favorite smoothies from the weekend was my orange smoothie with cherries on top!
Besides all my smoothie maddness that has been happeneing I also did a lot of relaxing with my honey and our babies.
Hope everyone had a great weekend, I have a very busy week ahead of me at work. Time to get to it!
EDIT: I forgot to add how EXCITED i am that one of my favorite shows is finally back! Hemlock Grove. EVEN BETTER than last season! Roman (picture below) is my fav character, he is even crazier and creepier this season. ❤
After a several month hiatus from WordPress…not intentionally I am officially back! I have been working my bottom off at Vogel Alcove and proving myself to be worthy of full time and all my hard work has finally paid off! As of today I am a full time employee! I have taken on many random task over the past several months and cant wait to work even more! Not many people can say that on a Monday morning they are excited to be going to work…I can. Instead of writing out a long blog about everything that has happened over the last months I will highlight some of the important stuff.
- End of the year holidays were fantastic!
- Jason and I celebrated our 9 year anniversary on 01/29
- We celebrated Jason’s birthday on 2/18
- In April our Non-Profit moved from a very small location that we had been at for 15 years to our new facility which was an old 3 story elementary school in DISD. Dallas Morning News Story
- Jason bought me a Samsung NX300 camera for my birthday which we celebrated on 5/18 (over $1000 worth of camera, lenses, bag etc and we got it for $250! Was only used a couple of weeks by a photography student)
- I have officially become the Vogel Alcove Photographer, taking photos of all the volunteers that come to visit, field trips, special events and birthdays!
- I have continued to struggle with my health and weight. Started a new healthy eating plan with a daily food diary and work out routine yesterday. I actually have Jason on board with me! Wish us luck!
I promise to post at least once a week from now on! I will leave you with a recipe I threw together from dinner last night. Enjoy!
- 6 cups fresh Kale
- 2 cups frozen Butternut Squash cubed
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn Corn
- 1 can of Chickpeas drained
- coconut oil
- red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450
- Toss the chickpeas and squash with some melted coconut oil (just enough to lightly coat) and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Spread out the mixture on a cookie sheet and back for about 25 min or longer if you desire more crispy veggies.
- In a large pot add couple tsp coconut oil and the corn.
- Fry lightly for a few minutes then toss in the kale.
- Cook for about 5 min tossing often so that the kale does not start to burn.
- Peel and dice one large avocado.
- Once everything is done place ALL ingredients into a large bowl and toss it gently so that you do not mash the avocado.
- Serve and ENJOY