After a several month hiatus from WordPress…not intentionally I am officially back! I have been working my bottom off at Vogel Alcove and proving myself to be worthy of full time and all my hard work has finally paid off! As of today I am a full time employee! I have taken on many random task over the past several months and cant wait to work even more! Not many people can say that on a Monday morning they are excited to be going to work…I can. Instead of writing out a long blog about everything that has happened over the last months I will highlight some of the important stuff.
- End of the year holidays were fantastic!
- Jason and I celebrated our 9 year anniversary on 01/29
- We celebrated Jason’s birthday on 2/18
- In April our Non-Profit moved from a very small location that we had been at for 15 years to our new facility which was an old 3 story elementary school in DISD. Dallas Morning News Story
- Jason bought me a Samsung NX300 camera for my birthday which we celebrated on 5/18 (over $1000 worth of camera, lenses, bag etc and we got it for $250! Was only used a couple of weeks by a photography student)
- I have officially become the Vogel Alcove Photographer, taking photos of all the volunteers that come to visit, field trips, special events and birthdays!
- I have continued to struggle with my health and weight. Started a new healthy eating plan with a daily food diary and work out routine yesterday. I actually have Jason on board with me! Wish us luck!
I promise to post at least once a week from now on! I will leave you with a recipe I threw together from dinner last night. Enjoy!
- 6 cups fresh Kale
- 2 cups frozen Butternut Squash cubed
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn Corn
- 1 can of Chickpeas drained
- coconut oil
- red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450
- Toss the chickpeas and squash with some melted coconut oil (just enough to lightly coat) and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Spread out the mixture on a cookie sheet and back for about 25 min or longer if you desire more crispy veggies.
- In a large pot add couple tsp coconut oil and the corn.
- Fry lightly for a few minutes then toss in the kale.
- Cook for about 5 min tossing often so that the kale does not start to burn.
- Peel and dice one large avocado.
- Once everything is done place ALL ingredients into a large bowl and toss it gently so that you do not mash the avocado.
- Serve and ENJOY
Its Friday…need I say any more? Ok, so am I done here?…..
OK OK I guess ill blog for real!
As you can tell I am pretty excited Friday has arrived. I have nothing awesome planned for the weekend….not that I have any money to do anything even if I did! However, sometimes doing absolutely nothing can be pretty awesome in itself. I have been sleeping horrible past couple nights because cats fighting outside my window or a injured raccoon dragging its hind legs making its way across my back yard. In both cases it is absolutely driving my dogs bonkers and making them pace back and forth from front door to back door…ALL NIGHT….on hard wood floors. 😦
Anyway…on to something positive!
I am becoming slightly obsessed with jars (Kerr and Ball) all sizes. I am using them as storage for spices, dry pantry items and as gifts! Below is a picture of some of my jars.
I just printed off a lot of really cute labels for the lids and will be modge podgeing them this weekend. I will upload pictures when done.
This is an example of the gifts I will be doing for people. Recently at work we made 150 cookies in a jar, 150 strawberry shortcakes in a jar and 150 salad in a jar! That is where my obsession began!
Last night I downloaded a new app on my phone called “Noom Weight Loss Coach”. It allows you to keep track of your food intake/calories, motivates you to do different task each day and teaches you how to eat healthier. There is also a forum on the app an a lot of people post great workouts and recipes. I think the best part about the app is that it has a pedometer! I have downloaded pedometers before and they just don’t work that well. This one so far is amazing! It keeps track of your steps even when your phone is timed out. So far this morning I have walked 1013 steps and counting.
So about this weekend…I plan on sleeping….A LOT!
GOOD MORNING! Headache is gone. Also I weighed in this morning and I have lost 2lbs 3oz this week so far! I am very proud of myself. Dinner last night was amazing. I made a Boca Chicken BLT Salad. Second picture is of my dinner the night before that I promised. 🙂
Boca Chicken BLT Salad
Boca Burger with Romaine, tomato, corn and red pepper flakes
This morning on the bus, there was a new driver and he was very rude to everyone! If you don’t like your job QUIT! I also realized something this morning on my way to work. On the corner of Elm and Akard (every morning) is this guy who works for “Dallas Street Zine” a local paper. He is what puts a smile on my face every morning! He is SOO happy no matter what the weather conditions are, out there dancing, doing the running man and all covered with pigeons!!! The Dallas birds LOVE this man! He gets out in front of the bus and will serenade us and just bring such a positive moment to our (or at least mine) mornings! Well this past week he hasn’t been there!!! I wonder if he moved locations downtown or if he quit. Either way I would like to thank him for making me smile daily.
So, its Friday and I am ready for this work week to be over with! I am ready to sit out in the back yard with my dogs with a big glass of iced tea and soak up some sun!
Hope everyone has a great Friday.